With winter fast approaching, the message to drivers and transport operators from the FTA (Freight Transport Association) is get prepared NOW for the onslaught of winter weather. “Insufficient preparation can lead to lives being put at risk, people stranded for uncomfortable lengths of time, and emergency services becoming stretched”. Not only that, any unplanned vehicle down-time can cost transport operators time and money and could affect customer relations and contracts.
Be Aware of Weather/Road Conditions
- Being aware of approaching severe weather is vital – having access to reliable weather information allows drivers and transport operators to make informed decisions about where and when to travel, to plan journeys and adjust driving according to the conditions and plan journeys
- The FTA Traffic Service provides vital amber and red alerts for winter weather and operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Sign up now for The FTA Weather Update Service
Advice On Dealing With Winter Weather Conditions from the FTA
- Information For Drivers: Driving In Severe Weather and Safety tips for driving in snow and ice for LGV drivers
- Information For Operators: Advice to operators for dealing with snow and ice
Make Sure You Have Your Vehicles Properly Prepared
- Safety first is key at this time of year and now is the time for transport operators to start ensuring vehicles are properly prepared and checked in advance of winter weather
- Traffic Scotland have produced a great leaflet for transport operators on Winter Weather Best Practice. Key advice includes checking and replacing tyres, testing and maintaining batteries ahead of winter weather, measures to keep depots and distribution centres clear of ice and snow and ensuring vehicles hold winter emergency kits
- Severe winter weather can have a major impact on transport networks and correspondingly transport operators and drivers. Keeping updated with winter weather travel information and taking measures now to prepare for winter and will ensure vehicles and drivers are suitably equipped to cope with severe weather and transport operators will save time and avoid unnecessary costs
Plan ahead and you will be better prepared this winter !
- The very best customer-centric resource solutions & management
- Temporary and permanent placements
- High volume, fast-moving, quick response, flexible solutions
- Access to highly-skilled, experienced candidate pools including drivers, warehouse, managers and senior executives
E-mail email@example.com or call 01236 702 157
clients include leading UK (FTSE 100 & blue-chip) companies across a range of sectors; FMCG, Manufacturing, Construction, Energy, Waste Management, Design, Professional Cleaning, Aviation, Rail, Wholesale, Recycling, Pallet Freight Distribution, Gas Supply, Engineering, Global Logistics (including petroleum), Office Supplies Distribution, Building Services
Looking for a job ?
For the latest Ten Live and industry news
Follow on our Ten Live’s LinkedIn company page or on Twitter read Ten Live’s latest Supply Chain whitepaper on Peak Compliance Management or check out our other Supply Chain whitepapers on the website
is a global recruitment and resource management company, providing THE very best Global Customer-Centric Resource Solutions in the supply chain logistics solutions, energy and telecoms sectors in the UK, MENA, Australia Pacific, Asia and Central/North/South America